New Delhi, Feb 2: The Delhi gang–rape victim’s family welcomed a court’s decision for accepting 13 charges by Delhi Police against the five accused on Saturday.
When an correspondent informed the victim’s family of the fast–track court’s decision, the father of the 23–year–old woman said that he was happy about the decision. “I feel that the five accused, except of the sixth who is a juvenile, will be convicted by the end of February,” he said.
The victim’s younger brother said: “I request to sentence the five accused to be hanged.” “My sister wanted to the accused to be burnt alive. My family’s wish is to hang five of the six accused. In case of the sixth accused, who was declared a juvenile by a juvenile justice board, police should approach the higher court for his bone ossification test,” he added.
The woman died on December 29 in a Singapore hospital where she had been airlifted for specialised treatment.
The father of the 28–year–old male software engineer, who was brutally beaten by the accused on the fateful night when they boarded a bus on December 16, also said that they welcome the court’s decision.
“My son, the only eyewitness in the case, will appear before the fast–track court on February 5. He will tell the court what had happened that night,” the father, who is a lawyer, said. “I think the decision will come soon as the trial will be held in a fast–track court,” he said. He said that they would challenge the decision of the Juvenile Justice Board that said the sixth accused is a minor. A juvenile justice home had declared the sixth accused to be a minor on January 28 after examining his school certificate produced by his school’s principal.
“As per law, a complainant can challenge the decision of the Juvenile Justice Board before a sessions judge within 60 days,” he said.
Justice Yogendra Khanna framed the charges under 13 sections of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) against five accused in the gang–rape case. (IANS)