Preparation Time: 5 - 10minutes
Cooking time: 10 - 12 minutes
Each serving contains: Kcals: 227, g fat: 3.5 g saturated fat: 0.3
225g Basmati Rice, washed and soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
1 tablespoon sunflower or soya oil
4 green cardamom pods, bruised (Chhoti Elaichi - sabut)
1 teaspoon royal cumin or caraway seeds (Shahi Jeera)
½ teaspoon salt (namak)
475ml warm water (paani)
Pinch of saffron threads, pounded (Kesar)
4-5 drops of rose essence (gulab essence)
A few fresh rose petals, washed and dried, to garnish
· Drain the rice, and leave it to drain in a colander.
· In a non-stick saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
· Add the cardamom and royal cumin or caraway seeds and let the spices sizzle for 20-25 seconds.
· Add the rice and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Add the salt and pour in the warm water. Bring it to the boil and stir in the saffron and rose essence. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan, and cook for 8-10 minutes without lifting the lid. Remove it from the heat and leave to stand, undisturbed, for 6-8 minutes.
· With a metal spoon, transfer the rice to a serving dish, surround it with the rose petals and serve.