Breaking News
Main News

Gogoi contradicts IGP, says Songbijit knew of attacks

By Our Staff Reporter

Guwahati, January 3: A day after the Assam Police had given a virtual clean chit to NDFB(S) chief IK Songbijit in the December 23 attacks that left 81 dead, Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said the carge could not have been possible without the knowledge of the banned Bodo outfit’s chief.

 “The attacks could not have taken place without Songbijit’s consent. His deputy might have executed the attacks but it is not possible that the attacks happened without Songbijit knowing of it,” Gogoi said at a press conference here.

He virtually refuted yesterday’s statement by IGP (law and order) SN Singh that Songbijit was not behind the attacks that were carried out under instructions of NDFB(S) deputy chief B Bidai. According to Singh, Bidai, who had escaped an encounter in which two of his colleagues were gunned down, had carried the attacks in retaliation without the consent of Songbijit.

The CM today said, “The NDFB(S) is responsible for the attacks. And it couldn’t have happened without Songbijit’s knowledge.”

When pointed out to the IGP’s comment, the Chief Minister said in an angry tone, “Will you listen to a police official or the Chief Minister?”

On the current situation, Gogoi said the situation was improving and people were returning to their homes from the relief camps.

About 2.70 lakh people are still living in 136 relief camps in the affected and adjoining districts.

The death toll has climbed to 81 and three persons are still missing.

While 58 arrests have been made so far, 102 cases have been registered of which four have been handed over to NIA, which has already started its investigations.

About the author

Ankur Kalita

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Click Here To Play