Chandigarh, May 28: Over 70 per cent polling was reported on Monday in the bypoll to the Shahkot Assembly seat in Punjab, a poll official said. Polling, which began at 7 a.m., was continuing even after the 6 p.m. deadline as voters who had queued up earlier were allowed to cast their vote. With the prevailing heat wave in Punjab, voters started queuing up early in the day. Long queues of voters were seen at some polling stations, especially in rural areas, in the constituency located in Jalandhar district. At some polling stations, there were no voters in the afternoon due to the heat wave. Chief Electoral Officer S. Karuna Raju said earlier that 1,72,676 eligible voters will decide the fate of 12 candidates in this constituency. The main contest is between the ruling Congress, the Shiromani Akali Dal and the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP). (IANS)
You may also like
About the author
- 2 NE Districts Under Proposed Central Plan for De-Addiction
- Trendy shades to give you an uber-cool Summer statement!
- The coolest scarves for the hip and trendy!
- Cooperative Society विसायखथिनि फिथायखौ फोसावबाय
- FIFA बुहुम काप 2018, उरुगे vs रासिया नायबिजिरनाय
- FIFA बुहुम काप 2018, सावदि आराबिया vs इजिप नायबिजिरनाय
- কম মুল্যত সৌন্দৰ্য্য চৰ্চা
- সীমান্ত নিরাপত্তায় এসএসবি-র ভূমিকার প্ৰশংসা করলেন রিজিজু
- ইটানগরে বিল্ডিং ধসে জীবন্ত কবরস্থ ৫ জন শ্ৰমিক
- দুৰ্বল মৰক্কোৰ সন্মুখত শক্তিশালী স্পেইন