Instant Maggi, now a pain!
By Salil Gewali
S omething which was so yummy is now leaving a bitter taste. One wonders, how the toxicities of Maggi have been precipitating inside us. There are millions who habitually ate nothing but ‘2-minute noodles’. Again, for our star struck moms such items always came easy. They loved to whip up the noodles for their kids when they rushed back home from schools. Papas unfailingly bring home bloated Uncle Chips packets and the like. Alas, the superficial flavor of these cheery pouches has literally numbed our alertness that it took over three decades to realize its toxic hallmark. The poisonous lead, which is one of the ingredients of Maggi, has already eaten into the muscles, nerves and marrow of our bodily system. To what extent it has made us vulnerable to varied fatal illnesses is yet to be established.
Thank God, the devious companies churning out such food products could easily hire a bevy of celebrities. Such celebrities had no hesitation in endorsing any damn item under the sun in any manner and style. And, we bone-headed got easily captivated by them that we hardly noticed their insincerity and callousness. Well, it’s their greed for money that makes them stoop so low to sell their soul. Apart from ordiry Bollywood stars, Amitabh Bachhchan is one of such respected heartthrobs in India who, under the glitter of glamour, dignity and fame, still roars for a stream of petty items. Is it not less expected from a star of his stature who people respect so immensely! Most of his ardent fans feel uncomfortably confused when he patters for less-better stuff.
There is no a chill-out tale to tell with respect to the beverages. Just check out, if Sachin Tendulkar’s Coca-Cola has not washed down the very strength of the digestive bile and enzymes of innumerable people. It is often heard that chronic dyspepsia and abdomil ulcer are caused by regular Coke/Pepsi drinking which has left a lot many consumers in the hot soup. Those aggrieved souls now just live on bland and boiled food.
Again, Shahrukh Khan’s Royal Stag was quite regaling. This must have spirited up many for more pegs. Didn’t that help them walk to the graveyard prematurely? Our localities, near villages, towns and cities are full of pitiful instances of addicts suffering from a number of health complications, and thereafter paying the ultimate price for his sin. But sadly, no company or Bollywood stars ever boom out on our TV channels to inform and alert us that so many families have been shattered due to alcoholic fathers.
“Besides endorsing the adulterated food product, Bollywood celebrities have been putting more dangerous poisons of vulgarities and absurdities into our society. We can’t view a whole movie together these days with our family members. Are they not to be blamed for a rapid degeneration of society, family values, marital relationship and culture? It’s is a serious development we are just ignoring. How could they be dignified figures whose lives are weighed down by a load of velity, conceit and sleazes?” — retorts Professor Dr. Manoj Kr. Mehta, a neuro-surgeon of Maula Azad Medical College, New Delhi.
Here, what could be more ludicrous than the fact that the ones who show us a road to hell are even worshipped like a prophet from heaven! Masses are so much under the spell of Bollywood stars in India that they do not hold back to scream that certain stars should be honored with the highest awards — not just Padma Bhushan and Padma Vibhushan but Bharat Rat. Jai Hind !