Guwahati: Assam Chief Secretary Kumar Sanjay Krishna has informed that the total lockdown that will come into effect in 11 wards of Guwahati city will last for a period of 14 days.
A notification undersigned by the Chief Secretary said that the "order shall remain valid for a period of 14 days with effect from today subject to modification as and when required.
It needs mention here that the lockdown will be clamped because of the detection of several Covid-19 cases across Guwahati which do not have any travel history.
On June 15 last, the Government of the state-initiated targetted surveillance across the state to identify the coronavirus hotspots and isolate the cases so as to be able to prevent a community transmission. Yesterday, Assam Health Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said that 144 cases without travel history have already been detected. This has once again prompted the administration to opt for a lockdown to mitigate the spread of the virus.
Earlier in the afternoon today, Kamrup (M) Deputy Commissioner Biswajit Pegu announced in front of the media that several areas under 11 wards in and around the Fancy Bazar area will be placed under a complete lockdown from 9 PM tonight.