Dibrugarh: Senior Congress leader and former Union DoNER minister Paban Singh Ghatowar on Monday filed his nomination from the Dibrugarh Lok Sabha seat for the consecutive eight times.
The 5-time MP from Dibrugarh Lok Sabha Ewho had to bite the dust in the 2014 election in the hands of BJP's Rameswar Teli will be aiming to recapture the all-important seat. The 68-year-old Congress veteran will once again be pitted against his BJP rival in what is expected to be a straight contest.
Ghatowar who belongs to the politically powerful tea tribe community of the state was first elected from the Dibrugarh Lok Sabha seat in 1991 when he defeated Asom Gana Parishad's Dipen Tanti. He was again re-elected in 1996, 1998 and 1999. In 2004 he tasted his first electoral defeat in the hands of then AGP candidate Sarbananda Sonowal. In 2009, he wrested back the seat from Sonowal before losing to Rameswar Teli in the 2014 Lok Sabha polls. Following his defeat, Ghatowar tried his luck by contesting in the Assembly election from the Moran seat in 2016. However, he once again had to bite to dust in the hand of the saffron party candidate Chakradhar Gogoi.
On Monday, six other candidates also filed their nominations from the Dibrugarh seat taking the total number of candidates to eight. BJP's Rameswar Teli who is also the sitting MP had filed his papers on Friday.
The others who filed their nominations on Monday were:
Bhaben Baruah (National People's Party) Independent Candidates: Apurva Saikia, Israil Nanda, Rubul Buragohain, Titus Bhengra and Mohd Nurul Huda Imdadul Islam Saikia.
Similarly, in Jorhat Lok Sabha Constituency around 8 candidates filed their nominations before the Deputy Commissioner and Returning officer Roshni Aparanji Korati today, and they are:
- Nandita Nag – Independent
- Arbin Kumar Baruah – Independent
- Ribulaya Gogoi – All India Trinamool Congress (AITC)
- Kamala Rajkonwar – NPP
- Rajkumar Duwarah – All India Forward Block
- Tapan Gogoi – BJP
- Sushanta Borgohain – INC (filed nomination on March 22, 2019)
- Kanak Gogoi – CPI (filed nomination on March 22, 2019)
For Lakhimpur, BJP candidate Pradan Boruah files his nomination before the Lakhimpur Deputy Commissioner and Returning officer. Apart from him, Anil Borgohain filed his nomination for Indian National Congress on March 20.
It may be mentioned that around 12 candidates have filed their nomination ahead of the first phase of the Lok Sabha Election 2019. The other candidates are :
- Hem Kanta Miri – SUCI (filed nomination on March 22, 2019)
- Arup Pratim Borboruah – NCP
- Prabhu Lal Vaishnava – Independent
- Arup Kalita – CPI
- Ubaidur Rahman – Asom Jana Morcha
- Amiya Kumar Handique – CPI (M)
- Md. Ambaz Uddin – Independent
- Bhupan Narah – Voter’s Party International (VPI)
- Purnakanta Deuri – Independent
- Dilip Moran – Asom Dristi Party
Total nominations filed candidates for Phase I is 45.
The date for scrutiny of nominations is March 26 and the last date for withdrawal of candidature is March 28. Dibrugarh goes to poll in the first phase of voting on April 11.