Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Fire exposes 'uuthorized' godown in residential area

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  2 Nov 2017 12:00 AM GMT

By our Staff Reporter

GUWAHATI, Nov 1: A fire that broke out in thickly-populated residential area at Tokobari in the Athgaon area in Guwahati on Wednesday has brought to public glare a skeleton that has been on the closet over the years. The controversy over the incident has thickened with State Fire and Emergency Service Director AP Rout terming the godown that caught fire in the area cannot be an authorized one.

Around 10 am on Wednesday a fire broke out at the godown of trader Kailash Matlia at Tokobari in Kali Mandir Path. The path is too congested and thickly populated on its either side. The fire continued for long four hours leading to the explosion of three cylinders spreading the fire to another godown of trader Udai Kundu (Bichshu) meant for disposal of plastics utensils and the three-storeyed guilding of mita Guha. The house has two families on first floor and the house owner on second floor. Over ten fire tenders had to be pressed into action to douse the fire. Three personnel of Fire Service and SDRF received injuries in the exercise.

State Fire and Emergency Service Director AP Rout rushed to the spot, besides officials of the distirct administration. Taking stock of the incident, Rout said: “The location of the godown makes it clear that it can’t be an authorized one. An inquiry will be ordered into this. We’re going to carry out inspection of such godowns along with the GMC and the district administration.”

Talking to this reporter, people of the locality – Prashanta Kalita and Bijay Kumar Guha – questioned as to how traders get permission to construct godown in residential areas. They said that the Deputy Commissioner had been informed of this many times, but to no avail.

Next Story