What is estrogen?
Estrogen is a hormone present in both males and females which helps in many important biological processes. Primarily, it is required more in women for their development of sexual health and reproductive system.
It is produced in ovaries, fat tissues and adrenal glands. It performs several mandatory functions like improving cognitive health and cardiovascular system, making bones strong, and motivating several body processes.
What are the types?
Estrogen is of several types:
Estrone: This is the weaker one and is formed after menopause.
Estradiol: It is the type which is found in both males and females. It is formed in women during their pregnancy.
Estriol: It is the estrogen that is quite important during pregnancy. It helps in the preparation of the body for delivery.
What is its function?
Estrogen is helpful for the proper functioning of organs like the ovaries, vagina, uterus, and breast.
• It helps in growing the egg follicles in the ovary.
• It helps to strengthen the vaginal walls and also helps in lubrication.
• It maintains the flowing and thickness of uterine membrane secretion.
• It is quite important on breast tissues and also takes care of breast milk after weaning.
What causes an imbalance in estrogen level?
Any disturbance in the estrogen level can cause various issues. They are:
1. Irregularity in menstruation
2. Bleeding problems during menstruation
3. Severe complications during premenstrual period and after menopause.
4. Sleeping issues and mood swings
5. Gaining weight
6. Dryness in the vagina
8. Depression and stress
9. Skin dryness.
How to increase estrogen level?
There are several ways by which you can trigger the formation of estrogen or maintain estrogen levels in your body. This article will be quite helpful for all the women out there.
Foods to increase estrogen level:
1. Flex seeds: Flex seeds are constituted of lignin which works as phytoestrogen that acts like estrogen inside the body. It is quite helpful in reducing the chance of breast cancer in the postmenopausal period.
2. Soybeans: Soybeans and products enriched with miso and tofu help in the formation of phytoestrogens. It also reduces the chance of breast cancer.
3. Dried fruits: Dried fruits are packed with various micronutrients that are beneficial for our health. Certain dried fruits are enriched with phytoestrogens.
4. Sesame seeds: Sesame seeds are significant in increasing the estrogen level in women in the postmenopausal period. They are enriched with phytoestrogens.
5. Garlic: Garlic is popular for adding flavour to any dish and is quite healthy. Studies have shown that it is enriched with phytoestrogens and prevents from loss of bones because of the lack of estrogen in the body.
6. Peaches: Peaches are rich in vitamins and minerals and constituted with phytoestrogen called lignans which help to reduce the chance of breast cancer.
7. Berries: Strawberries, raspberries, and cranberries to possess phytoestrogen.