Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

'Awareness is the key to enjoying human rights'

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  11 Dec 2017 12:00 AM GMT

FROM A CORRESPONDENT

LAKHIMPUR, Dec 10: “I have come out to fight for ending the superstitious belief of witch hunting. I had to face life-threatening challenges in this way of struggle but I never retreated. I will work for the rights of the oppressed. Service to the humanity is my religion now,” said Birubala Rabha, the voice of the victims of superstition in the State.

She was felicitated in Lakhimpur during the celebration programme of Intertiol Human Rights Day organized by Mab Adhikar Sangram Samiti (MASS) on Sunday. MASS observed the day in association with the Lakhimpur unit of the organization by organizing various programmes in a befitting manner in the auditorium of Basudev Kalyan Trust of North Lakhimpur town.

The programme began with the unfurling of flag by Keshav Chandra Saharia, the chairperson in-charge of the organization followed by the lighting of earthen lamp in front of the portrait of Parag Das by Raju Singha, the secretary of Lakhimpur unit of MASS. Chief secretary Ganesh Goswami administered swahid tarpan. The open session and the felicitation ceremony was chaired by Keshav Chandra Saharia and organizing committee president ren Sarmah. It was iugurated by retired DEEO of Lakhimpur, Jivan Chandra Dutta while Ganesh Goswami explained the objectives of the programme.

Former chairperson of MASS, Lachit Bordoloi and Abdul Aziz Choudhury graced the occasion as the appointed speakers. “Awareness is the key to enjoying human rights. We must have the right of living with dignity, whatever our place of residence, tiolity, sex, language or fincial status,” Bordoloi stated. He explained the emerging history of the human rights movement in the world as well as in Assam, the objectives, the significance of the Intertiol Human Rights Day and regretted that people of Assam could not attain the environment of enjoying the all the human rights as defined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights of United tions Organisation.

Abdul Aziz Choudhuri highlighted how the present governments, politics and its commercialization and corporate sectors had violated the human rights. “At present the government protects the human rights of only 20 per cent people, not of the rest 80 per cent,” he said. Besides, Birubala Rabha, social activist Akon Saikia was also warmly felicitated in the programme. Both of them spoke on the occasion along with Nila Gogoi, Abu Taher Ahmed, Sudipta Hazarika and Manoranjan Das representing different organizations.

Next Story