London, June 16: Chelsea star striker Pedro has revealed that he has held initial talks about a return to Spanish football club Barcelo after just a single season at Stamford Bridge.
The 28-year-old, who is currently on intertiol duty with Spain at Euro 2016, was signed for 22 million pounds from the reigning La Liga champions last summer, but struggled to make an impact during his debut season in the Premier League.
Italy boss Antonio Conte will become Chelsea head coach following the conclusion of Euro 2016 and his first job could be to convince Pedro to remain at the club.
“Hopefully (I can return to Barcelo) but I know it’s hard. I have already spoken about it with the president (Josep Maria Bartomeu) when we (Barcelo) were in the (Cup) fil (when Barcelo beat Sevilla 2-0 last month) and spoke to all the people who want me there,” Pedro was quoted as saying by beIN Sports on Wednesday.
“It’s complicated, but I’ve always said that I would like to retire at Barcelo. However, I know it’s difficult because the years go by and the club has the best players in the world, it is a very demanding club and to return is complicated. But I do not rule it out either.”
Pedro, who has three years left of his current contract at Chelsea, came through the youth ranks at Barcelo and won five La Liga titles and three Champions League crowns.
“I had been 11 or 12 years in Barcelo, my family is from there and also many friends. The fans loved me, I felt very valued around the club, and it’s always hard to leave the club of your dreams,” the Spaniard said. “But I have explained before in the end I had to take this decision because I saw that the possibilities (of playing) were low,” Pedro added. IANS