Dead Lizard Found at Vada Sambar served by Haldiram’s in Nagpur

Representative Image


Guwahati: A man from Nagpur allegedly found a dead lizard in a food item served at the snacks major outlet in Haldiram’s according to an official of the Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) on Wednesday.

The incident took place at the outlet on Tuesday morning located at Ajani square and the picture of the dead lizard found in vada sambar served by Haldiram’s went viral on the social media.

Assistant Commissioner of FDA (Nagpur) Milind Deshpande said that the man and a woman accompanying him, both from Wardha had ordered vada sambar at the outlet. But while eating the man found a dead lizard in the food and they brought this to the notice of the outlet’s supervisor who later on threw it away.

Deshpande further added that they were later admitted to a private hospital and discharged on Wednesday. It has further been informed that the duo, has neither spoke to media nor lodged a complaint in this regard.

The assistant commissioner of FDA further informed that they were informed about the incident in the evening after which they immediately visited the Haldiram’s outlet and conducted an inspection. “We found certain deficiencies in its kitchen. The windows of the kitchen need to be fitted with a net which was missing and we instructed them to do so immediately,” said Deshpande.

The FDA, however, closed the outlet till they complete the compliance as per the Food Safety and Standards (Food Business Licenses and Registration) Regulations 2011. The official further stated that the outlet have submitted a compliance report to the FDA and the department will inspect the premises and if they found the steps taken are satisfactory, only then they will allow the outlet to reopen.

A senior office-bearer of Haldiram’s, however, said that they doubted the veracity of consumers’ claim and said that they have admitted the man to the nearby hospital. They were kept under observation for 24 hours and their medical reports were normal and have been discharged today. He also informed that they have submitted a compliance report to the FDA.