Children and discipline just don’t go together as they lacking skills to differ- initiate between wrong and right. Digging nose, burping in public, not standing up to greet, picking up some foodstuff fallen on the ground, and so on.There are a few tips that can be used to teach kids good manners.
- Start as early as possible, especially,when the kids are 2 or 3 years old as this is the time they learn the language and socialize with their peer group.
- Speak using polite words, every time you talk to her as kids develop habits based on what they hear or see around. Speaking in a polite manner also applies on those instances when she doesn’t have the best of her behaviour.
- Use stories as a medium for them to learn. Those bed time stories with morals can be read out time and again to remind him of the appropriate behaviour. Highlight the stories and the characters with good and bad manners, and ask him to pick his favourite character. Once she picks the positive character, explain the characteristics of the respective character.
- Encourage your child by praising him. While practicing what you have taught him, and especially, when he knows you are watching or observing him, praise him.Involve her in the fun activities. This will help the kids learn and retain the values faster. Play mode works best on the kids.
- Never embarrass them in Public. Shaming the child might have an adverse effect. Instead of learning, they may become stubborn to not learn. This may further lead to aggressive behaviour. So, try avoiding it.
- Draw a line to expect respect. Being friendly with the kids is advantageous as long as there is a clear demarcation of leniency and acceptance of mistakes. If they become anxious and aggressive, respond when she respects you. Stay firm on your decision.