FROM OUR CORRESPONDENT
SIVASAGAR, Jan 1: Picnickers and tourists enjoyed the first day of the New Year 2016 thronging the popular tourist spots in Sivasagar district. Shiva Doul, Ranghar, Talatal Ghar, Kareng Ghar, Charaideo Maidams and the sand beach of Desangmukh were teeming with people who came there to spend the day with friends and relatives.
But among these, an 18th century Ahom era Jagadhatri Doul, located at Kalugaon under Salaguri GP in Sivasagar district remained unnoticed by the tourists. It needs mentioning that the Jagadhatri Doul, built by Harith Borpatra Gohain, brother of Queen Phuleswari Konwari, has been declared as State Protected Archaeological Site under The Assam Ancient Monuments and Records Act, 1959 and a sum of Rs. 4,93,849 has been sanctioned under MGNREGA for cleaning and maintence of the historical doul in the fincial year 2014-2015. But, if visited one can easily find what has been done so far for the development of the doul.
Despite being surrounded by beautiful tural scenery and having the historical importance, the presence of Jagadhatri Doul is till today unknown to many. Only a bit of interest on part of the local inhabitants of Sivasagar and goodwill of the authorities concerned would help in reviving this old monument to life.
Meanwhile, Parivesh Suraksha Sammittee (PSS), a leading NGO has come forward keep alive the doul and launched a cleanliness drive.
Rupraj Baruah, president of PSS, Sivasagar district told this correspondent that the NGO had been working not only to preserve ecosystem but also on the issues relating to society. “If we can’t preserve our past, then the new generation will have been left nothing to learn. We have coming forward for the protection of this beautiful doul which bears the historical values. Let it be the duty of everyone to join hands and preserve this Doul,” Baruah said.