Breaking News
Suicide Attack
INTERNATIONAL

Jalalabad Suicide Attack: Death Toll Rises to 68 in Eastern Afghanistan

Kabul: In a deadly suicide attack, the Islamist Terrorists in Afghanistan killed at 68 people and injured hundreds other.

Earlier on September 11, another 165 were wounded in a blast in the province of Nangarhar.

Reportedly, officials of the health and medical department at Nangarhar officially confirmed that the death toll from the suicide attack has risen to 68, up from 32.

Local Afghan police said that the attack took place on the main highway between the provincial capital, Jalalabad, and the Torkham border that links Pakistan.

A spokesperson of the local government said that the attacks were targeted towards a gathering to protest against the appointment of a local police chief.

Police also informed that the militants initiated the suicide attack after hours of smaller IEDs wreaked havoc in at least three schools in and nearby areas of Jalalabad that killed a school going boy and wounded four local civilians.

Meanwhile, in a Media statement, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani vehemently condemned the suicide attack against the demonstrators and the school bombings and dubbed them as crimes against humanity.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan also condemned the series of bombings and expressed its “mounting concern at the pattern of attacks targeting civilians and schools” in Nangarhar and its capital.

It may be mentioned that Afghanistan’s Jalalabad province has been in recent months the hot-bed of terrorist activities that have killed dozens of people as both the banned Islamic terror outfit Taliban and the extremist group Islamic State are operational and receive arms and funding from neighbouring Pakistan through its covert intelligence wing ISI.