Breaking News

Mother, son electrocuted in Udalguri

Representative image

A Correspondent
TANGLA, June 24: In a tragic incident, a mother and her son got electrocuted by an unauthorized electric cable laid by villagers to deter the wild elephants at Majuligrant village along the Indo-Bhutan border in Udalguri on Sunday morning.

According to reports, Khargeswari Kachari (43), wife of Dehi Ram Kachari, a native of the aforesaid village, along with her Class VII standard son Kanai Kachari (12) went to graze cattle in a nearby field when the mother came in contact of live high voltage electric wire. The mother died instantly while the minor, in a bid to save his mother, tried to push her away and meet a tragic end.

A pall of gloom has descended the region at the heart-rending incident. The conscious circles have condemned and questioned the role of the electricity department for its failure to curb illegal electricity theft in the district leading to the death of human beings and wild elephants. Electricity theft has been going on and is an open matter in Udalguri district for several years. Senior citizens and nature-loving people urged the Udalguri administration to adopt steps to stop this menace for safety of man and animal in the region.