Cairo: The United States’ Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said his country has learnt from the mistakes it committed in the Middle East and vowed to continue fighting against terror organisations. Mike Pompeo spoke on Thursday at the American University in Cairo as part of a whirlwind tour of the most populous Arab country. His visit comes after US President Donald Trump announced last month a pullout of US troops from Syria, EFE news reported.
“American troops are coming home from Syria, but this is not a change of mission. We remain committed to the complete dismantling of the ISIS (Islamic State) threat and the ongoing fight against radical Islamist terror. We are looking to our partners to do more going forward,” Pompeo said during his visit to the Egyptian capital. Cairo and Washington have been maintaining close ties for the last 40 years since Egypt signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1979 following the US-brokered Camp David peace accords of September 1978. The peace between Israel and Egypt ultimately led the US to provide the latter with $1.3 billion in military aid annually. (IANS)
Also Read: International News