Yogurt Dessert (Shrikhand)
Preparation time: 10 minutes, plus draining and chilling
Serves: 4-5 Each serving contains: Kcals: 274; g fat: 19.6; g saturated fat: 11.2
- 2 x 425g cartons Greek strained yogurt
- Pinch of saffron threads, pounded (kesar)
- 2 tablespoons hot milk (garamdoodh)
- 30-55g caster sugar to taste (chiniswaadanusaar)
- 3-4 drops of rose essence or 2 tablespoons rose water (gulabjal)
Fresh fruit, such as blueberries, red currants, kiwi fruit and strawberries
Thai Coconut Soup (Thai NaariyalShorba)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemon grass, minced
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 3 (13.5 ounce) cans coconut milk
- 1/2 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound medium shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir the ginger, lemongrass, and curry paste in the heated oil for 1minute.
- Slowly pour the chicken broth over the mixture, stirring continuously.
- Stir in the fish sauce and brown sugar; simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and mushrooms; cook and stir until the mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp; cook until no longer translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the lime juice; season with salt; garnish with cilantro.