Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Three fall ill after consuming wild mushrooms

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  16 May 2015 12:00 AM GMT

FROM A CORRESPONDENT

ZIRA, May 15:Three persons of Rajabheta village of Geleki area here in Sivasagar district fell ill after consuming poisonous mushrooms.

According to all the three members of a family—Suren Barhoi (52), Lakhimi Barhoi (43) and Mee Barhoi (14) —developed severe food poisoning symptoms on Thursday night and were admitted to Jaysagar Civil hospital.

According to sources they are out of danger now and condition has been improved. The affected persons consumed mushrooms that had sprouted nearby jungle. Experts said only mushroom grown in farms should be consumed, as no one can be sure about the toxicity of mushrooms grown in the wild.

Medical experts say mushroom poisoning can lead to gastrointestil discomfort and even death. It is very hard to identify toxic mushrooms growing in the wild. The general symptoms of mushroom poisoning are stomach pain, vomiting, diarrhoea and drop in blood pressure.

“The toxins in poisonous mushrooms may also affect the kidneys and liver. In some cases, poisoning can lead to organ failure,” said a physician.

Next Story