‘Unexpected, accidental’ says Congress probe committee

Minor girl in protest programme

LAKHIMPUR, June 8: The two-member Enquiry Committee, constituted by Assam Pradesh Congress Committee (APCC) pertaining to the issue of a minor girl being used by Lakhimpur District Congress Committee (LDCC) in a protest programme, termed the incident as ‘unexpected, accidental’. Addressing a press meet held at North Lakhimpur Press Club, Durlabh Chamuah, secretary of APCC and in-charge of Lakhimpur Congress, and Ramen Barthakur, secretary of APCC, who are the two members of the Enquiry Committee, said on Friday. “The only child who came to the protest programme along with her mother on June 6 against the price hike and maladministration of the BJP Governments initiated in North Lakhimpur, became obstinate to mount the sheath. In order to console her, the sheath was being dragged for a few seconds, not in connection with the programme,’’ stated Chamuah.

On the other hand, Ramen Barthakur stated that the ruling party was blowing the issue out of proportion. “It is a political game by the party to defame the Congress. There is a political move and a role of catalyst to spread the matter as no FIR has been filed in Lakhimpur against it. It was done when the Child Protection Commission ordered Lakhimpur police to do so from Guwahati due to political intervention”, he added.

They informed that APCC president Ripun Borah has taken up the issue seriously and constituted the Enquiry Committee to look into the matter. As per his direction, the Committee arrived in Lakhimpur on Thursday and collected evidences, interrogating the people concerned. The committee will submit its report to APCC President tomorrow. Along with the two members of the Committee, LDCC president Joy Praksh Das, vice president Opel Hazarika, APCC secretary Babul Sonowal and other activists of the LDCC were present in the press meet. It may be notes that though the child’s mother was arrested on Thursday by North Lakhimpur Police in connection with the incident, she was released later on individual bail.