PANAJI, July 7: President Ram Nath Kovind on Saturday praised the practice of the Uniform Civil Code in Goa, saying that implementation of the socio-legal system was truly reflective of the values of equality in the Indian Constitution. In his address during a civic reception here, je also said that the seaward region’s constant brush with people from different countries across the world, over ages, had earned the natives of Goa the tag of “global citizens”. “I am happy to know that the government in Goa is laying special stress on empowering women… Goa has a common civil code, as a result of which all residents, men and women, have been given equal rights. This Code reflects the principle of equality in our Constitution and presents a good example to the country,” said Kovind, who is on a two-day visit to the coastal state. Implementation of the Uniform Civil Code has been a key poll campaign promise of the Bharatiya Janata Party and Goa is the only state in the country, where the Code has been in existence since the pre-Liberation era. Kovind said that the state’s exposure over time to global influences had a positive impact on the mindset of the local population, making them global in outlook.(IANS)
You may also like
About the author
- South Africa Girls Taught well to Deal with Increasing Cases of Crimes against Women
- Bank Employee to go for Nationwide Strike on November 12
- OIL starts spudding of well in Kumchai area at Loc Kuar (Kumchai-15)
- Yellow Sweater And Blue Denim of Priyanka Chopra, A Very Far Fetched Dream!
- ‘100 Percent Organic State’ Sikkim Gets FAO Award For Best Policies
- Assam Chief Minister Welcomes the Court Martial of the Accused in Fake Encounter Case
- Tezpur University Jobs 2018 For Junior Research Fellow Vacancy for M.Sc, M.E/M.
- Ambedkar University Delhi Jobs 2018 for Research Assistant Vacancy for M.A
- PGIMER Jobs 2018 for Senior Research Fellow Vacancy for Any Post Graduate
- Mizoram CM Lal Thanhawla says Congress will return with more than 30 seats