Washington: Washington DC is bracing for a far-right rally and counter-protests, marking the first anniversary of a white nationalist rally that erupted in deadly violence a year ago. Jason Kessler, who organized last year’s deadly “Unite the Right” rally in Charlottesville, Virginia, received approval for the event in June. On Sunday, hundreds of far-right supporters will gather at Lafayette Park here to press their demand for “white civil rights”.
Washington DC Mayor Muriel Bowser on Thursday said the city was activating its emergency operations center and would be on high alert for violence during the rally, reports USA Today. “We have people coming to our city for the sole purpose of spewing hate. We denounce hate, we denounce anti-Semitism and we denounce the rhetoric we expect to hear this Sunday,” Bowser said.
The city’s (Washington DC) police chief Peter Newsham said guns will be banned from the rallies, even for gun owners with legal permits. Meanwhile, hundreds of counter-protesters, banding together as “Shut it Down D.C.”, are planning a “Still Here, Still Strong” rally on Sunday at Freedom Plaza, a few blocks from Lafayette Park. Organisers are calling on all “anti-fascists and people of good conscience” to take the streets in solidarity. The group plans to march to Lexington Park shortly before the far-right rally. (IANS)