Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Shillong's Bethany Hospital Finally Reopens, more than a Month after Covid-19 Tragedy

Sangma was seen paying his condolences to Dr John Sailo of the hospital who became the state's first Covid-19 casualty.

Bethany HospitalPic Credit: Conrad Sangma Twitter

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  23 May 2020 9:50 AM GMT


Bethany Hospital in Meghalaya, the site of the state's greatest Covid-19 tragedy on May 23 again reopened its doors to patients, more than a month after it had reported cases of the deadly virus.

Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma, who took part in the ceremony, tweeted out pictures alongwith the caption, "Joined the family, and staff of Bethany Hospital as it officially reopens. I thank the entire Bethany Hospital Team who responded to the pressure in a positive and cooperative manner. I also thank the network and the community that supported the Government and Bethany during the time."

Sangma was also seen paying his condolences to Dr John Sailo of the hospital who became the state's first and only Covid-19 related casualty on April 15, two days after he was tested positive for the deadly contagion.

The Hospital's 69-year-old Director Dr John Sailo was first tested positive for the virus on April 13, 2020, and it was immediately closed to the public amid rising apprehensions in the state that was gripped by panic after a string of virus cases. At the same time, a complete curfew was also clamped in Shillong owing to the virus spread, bringing in a complete halt to activities in the capital. Gradually, 12 more people -- the late doctor's relatives, employees, and friends -- were tested positive in subsequent days, taking the tally of cases in the state to 13. After a prolonged period of treatment, the last of the patients of this phase, a woman, recovered from the respiratory illness and Meghalaya was officially declared corona free.

However, the joy was short lived as Meghalaya again reported a new coronavirus disease (Covid-19) case on Tuesday, a day after 12th and the last patient recovered from the disease. The latest patient is a 33-year-old woman from the Garo Hills, who had returned to the state from Chennai on Monday after lockdown restrictions were partially eased, and is currently undergoing treatment.

Next Story