Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Gogoi sees terror threat to SAF Games

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  19 Nov 2015 12:00 AM GMT

By Our Staff Reporter

Guwahati, Nov 18: Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi today said the government cannot rule out any threat from fundamentalist outfits, including the Islamic State, and indicated that the security bandobast for the upcoming South Asian Games will be reviewed.

"There was always a threat (from fundamentalist elements). Many foreign delegates, sportsmen and spectators will gather here for the SAF Games. So turally there is a threat perception," Gogoi said.

Sources said the security agencies are regularly reviewing the bandobast for the event. The Central government has already issued advisories to the States, including Assam, asking them to be alert in view of the increasing influence of the Islamic State. Assam, according to the Union Home Ministry, is high in the vulnerability list. So far, a total of 23 Indians have gone to ISIS hold areas in Iraq-Syria to fight for the terrorist group. Of them six were killed while one returned home in Mumbai.

Next Story