Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Divisive politics will destroy Assam, Ajmal can never become CM: Indigenous Muslims

Prominent indigenous Muslims have warned that the present divisive politics on the lines of religion will destroy Assam.

Divisive politics will destroy Assam, Ajmal can never become CM: Indigenous Muslims

Haidor Hussain | Nekibur Zaman

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  22 March 2021 1:46 AM GMT

STAFF REPORTER

GUWAHATI: Prominent indigenous Muslims have warned that the present divisive politics on the lines of religion will destroy Assam.

"Late Begum Mofida Ahmed was the first woman Parliamentarian from Assam. Ahmed was elected as an MP from Jorhat Constituency in 1957. There were many other Muslim MPs and MLAs from the Hindu majority Constituencies.

Noted political analyst and writer, Haidor Hussain told The Sentinel on Saturday "Along with Srimanta Sankardeva, Assam is also proud to have Ajan Fakir. These are the examples to prove the secular character of the Assamese society from time immemorial. So, it will be a dangerous proposition if the political parties come to power by playing divisive and communal politics in Assam."

He termed the ongoing election campaign to fight against civilization and Mughals by the ruling alliance (BJP-AGP) as nothing but to divert the peoples' attention from the real issues of the State.

Hussain, who hails from the indigenous Muslim community, further said, "In the history of Assam's post-Independence politics, the highest number of 32 Muslim MLAs was elected to the Assam Assembly in 1978. Going by the present demographic pattern and arithmetic of electoral politics in the State, 35 would be the maximum number of Muslim MLAs who could be elected to the Assembly in rare circumstances. So where is the case of forming a government in Dispur by Muslims or 'Mughals' as claimed by the ruling parties. Badruddin Ajmal can never become the Chief Minister of Assam."

Hussain appealed to the progressive, secular and democratic individuals from both the majority and minority communities to thwart the divisive politics in the ensuing elections.

Noted social activist and lawyer Nekibur Zaman has questioned both the BJP and the AGP as to why both the parties did not give a single ticket to the indigenous Muslims for the ensuing elections.

"Ironically, both the ruling parties are campaigning on the issues of their 'Fight against civilization' and 'Mughals'. The AGP has given ticket to Sheik Shah Alam, who was sidelined by the AIUDF (All India United Democratic Front) for allegedly making 'anti-Assamese' and 'communal' remarks during a public rally in the State. Alam is contesting the election as a candidate from Goalpara East.

"The BJP has given tickets to eight Muslim candidates whose forefathers originally migrated from East Pakistan (now Bangladesh). So, I simply fail to understand as to what do the BJP and the AGP mean by fighting against 'Mughals' and 'civilization'," said Zaman.

He further alleged that Badruddin Ajmal is being used by the BJP-AGP combine to play their communal-politics card. "The BJP also talks of the ensuing election as a fight against between 65% and 35% population of the State. I asked the BJP as to where do the indigenous Muslims fall – the 65% bracket or the other of 35%? The party failed to answer my question," added Zaman.

Also Read: Suvendu Adhikari's Father and TMC MP Sisir Adhikari joins BJP at Amit Shah's rally in West Bengal

Also Watch: AASU Organizes statewide bike rally against CAA backers

Next Story