Candidate Name - Aftab Uddin Mollah
Political Party - Indian National Congress (INC)
Constituency - Jaleswar
Aftab Uddin Mollah, son of late AlhazTahaj Uddin Mollah, is a resident of Suparibhita, Lakhipur, in the Goalpara district of Assam. He is married to Nazma Begum. He is 57 years of age.
He is M.A. in Political Science in the year 1991.
Career and Politics
Aftab Uddin Mollah contested the Assam Assembly election from the Jaleswar constituency four times, winning once and losing thrice.
In the 2001 Assam Assembly elections, he defeated SamataParty candidate Alfazur Rahman with 36,444 votes. Alfazur secured 19,849 votes. T
In the 2006 Assam Assembly elections, he contested as an INC candidate, securing 27,449 votes compared to the winning candidate Afzalur Rahman of the AIUDF who secured 30,636 votes.
In the 2011 Assam Assembly elections, he again contested as an INC candidate, securing 35,842 votes compared to the winning candidate of the AIUDF Moin Uddin Ahmed who secured 52,640 votes.
In the 2016 Assam Assembly election, he contested as an Independent. He secured 49,304 votes as compared to the winning candidate Sahab Uddin Ahmed who secured 55,976 votes. The voter turnout that year was a whopping 93.58 percent.
He is contesting the Assam Assembly election 2021 for the fifth time from Jaleswar on a Congress ticket.
According to the nomination filed with the Election Commission of India, he and his spouse's moveable assets are worth Rs. 23,20,012 and Rs.13,35,635respectively and their immovable assets are worth Rs. 2.07 crore and Rs. 95lakhs respectively.
He has 6 cases against him:
- One charge related to unlawful assembly (IPC Section 143)
- One charge related to negligent act likely to spread infection of disease dangerous to life (IPC Section 269)
- One charge related to malignant Act Likely To Spread Infection of Disease ( IPC Section 270)
- One charge related to keeping lottery office (IPC Section 294)
- One Charge related to punishment for defamation (IPC Section 500)
- One charge related to punishment for criminal intimidation (IPC Section 506)
The complaints were registered in Lakhipur police station, Goalpara under FIR no. 359/2020.