Palasbari is a Municipal town and Assembly Constituency situated in Kamrup district, Assam. The official language of the town is Assamese.
ASSEMBLY CONSTITUENCY NAME AND NUMBER
Palasbari Assembly Constituency is one among the 126 Constituencies and its number is 50. It falls under the Gauhati Lok Sabha constituency.
Palasbari Assembly Constituency falls under Gauhati Parliamentary Constituency. A candidate of the Bharatiya Janata Party, named Queen Oja won the Lok Sabha Election 2019 by securing 1008936 votes and defeated, Bobbeeta Sarma of the Indian National Congress party who secured 663330 votes.
Palasbari is a town in the Kamrup district. Kamrup is an administrative district, and it covers an area of 4345 square km. The district headquarter is at Amingaon. As per the census report released in 2011, Kamrup district has 1517541 population.
NUMBER OF TOWNS
The towns in Palasbari circles are:
● Nahira Census Town
● Dahali Census Town
● Kochpara Census Town
● Upar Hali Census Town
● Sarpara Census Town
● Parlli Census Town
● Palasbari Municipal Board
● Sanpara Census TownNUMBER OF INHABITED VILLAGES
There are about 194 villages in Palasbari. Few of them are:
● Bagapani F.V
● Bahu Para
● Bangeli Bila N.C
● Baranti Maniari
● Bardia Gaon
● Baregaon No.1ASSEMBLY STATUS
The Assembly Constituency of the Palasbari Constituency had a total of 138002 electors. Amongst them, the number of valid voters was 121238. In the Palasbari 2016 election Pranab Kalita of the Bharatiya Janata Party emerged as the winner with 75210 votes and Nabajyoti Talukdar of the Indian National Congress party became the runner up with 26468 votes. Therefore, he won the MLA seat by 48742 votes.
Palasbari Assembly Constituency has a population of 239026, from which 121926 are males and 117100 are females. Literate people living in Palasbari is 170158 and the number of illiterate persons is 68868.
NUMBER OF HOUSEHOLDS
The number of households in Palasbari is 50418.WATER CONNECTION
Palasbari Assembly Constituency has tap water facility and the people also use tube well and borehole.MUNICIPALITY REACH IN THE AREA
The basic civic infrastructure of Palasbari is maintained by Palasbari Municipal Corporation.
RELIGIOUS GROUP/DEMOGRAPHY IN THE CONSTITUENCY
Palasbari Assembly Constituency comprises religious groups such as Hindus, Muslims, Christians, Sikhs, Buddhist and Jain.
Religion not stated
CASTE AND TRIBES IN THE CONSTITUENCY
Schedule Caste residing in Palasbari is 17800 from which 9072 are male and the females are 8728 and Schedule Tribes are 39369 out of which 19932 are male and 19437 are female.
MALE/FEMALE ELECTORAL DISTRIBUTION
The overall number of voters recorded in the 2016 Palasbari election was 138002 from which the voter turnout was 121238 and out of this, 63101 are male voters and 58137 are female voters.
The sex ratio of Palasbari is 960 females per thousand males.
AGE GROUP DISTRIBUTION
Palasbari has a total population of 239026 and the children below 6 years is 26195 from which the boys are 12525 and girls are 12670
POLLING PERCENTAGE FOR LAST THREE YEARS
● Palasbari Assembly Constitution witnessed a polling percentage of 67.04% during the Lok Sabha Election of 2019
● In the Legislative Assembly Election, 2016 the polling percentage was 61.93%
● In the Lok Sabha Election of 2014, the polling percentage was 63.76%.
RESULT OF LAST FIVE ELECTION
● In the 1996 Assembly Election, Jatin Mali of the AGP party became the winner with 44643 votes and Dinesh Choudhury of BJP became the runner up with 14373 votes.
● In the 2001 and 2006 Election Pranab Kalita, the Independent candidate won the election by securing 30943 and 49789 votes respectively.
● In the 2011 Election, the Independent candidate Jatin Mali won the election with 36718 votes and defeated Pranab Kalita, also the Independent candidate who secured 36038 votes.
● In the 2016 Election, Pranab Kalita of the Bharatiya Janata Party became the winner by securing 75210 votes and Nabajyoti Talukdar of the Indian National Congress party was the runner up with 26468 votes.
Year Name of the candidate Name of the party Votes
1996 Jatin Mali AGP 44643
Dinesh Choudhury BJP 14373
2001 Pranab Kalita IND 30943
Jatin Mali AGP 30308
2006 Pranab Kalita IND 49789
Jatin Mali AGP 38458
2011 Jatin Mali IND 36718
Pranab Kalita IND 36038
2016 Pranab Kalita BJP 75210
Nabajyoti Talukdar INC 26468
PERCENTAGE VOTE SHARE OF POLITICAL PARTY IN LAST ELECTION
In 2016 Election Pranab Kalita of the Bharatiya Janatiya Party became the winner by securing 61.93% of the overall vote and Nabajyoti Talukdar of the Indian National Congress party became the runner up with 21.8%. The Independent candidates, Jatin Mali and Kushal Chandra Sarma secured 12.97% and 0.82% respectively. Juri Mali of the Liberal Democratic Party secured 0.81% and Palash Jyoti Das secured 0.38%. Vote secured by None of the Above is 1.29%.
Name of the candidate Name of the party Percentage
Pranab Kalita BJP 61.93%
Nabajyoti Talukdar INC 21.8%
Jatin Mali Independent 12.97%
Kushal Chandra Sarma Independent 0.82%
Juri Mali LDP 0.81%
Palash Jyoti Das Rajpa 0.38%
None of the Above 1.29%
CANDIDATES IN LAST ELECTION AND RESULT (WINNER AND LOOSER)
The candidates that participated in 2016 Palasbari election are:
● Pranab Kalita of the Bharatiya Janata Party
● Nabajyoti Talukdar of the Indian National Congress Party
● Jatin Mali, the Independent candidate
● Kushal Chandra Sarma, the Independent candidate
● Juri Mali of the Liberal Democratic Party
● Palash Jyoti Das of Rajpa
At the end, Pranab Kalita of the Bharatiya Janata Party emerged as the winner with 75210 votes and Nabajyoti Talukdar of the Indian National Congress party became the runner up with 26468 votes.