Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

1st case of coronavirus in NE; girl from Manipur with travel history to UK tests positive

1st case of coronavirus in NE; girl from Manipur with travel history to UK tests positive

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  24 March 2020 5:41 AM GMT

GUWAHATI: A 23-year-old girl from Manipur who just returned from the UK has tested positive for coronavirus. This becomes the first case of coronavirus from North Eastern part of the country.

India’s total tally for coronavirus might soon hit 500. So far nine deaths have been reported.

Meanwhile, Assam will be under lockdown from 6 pm on Tuesday till March 31 in the wake of the novel coronavirus pandemic in the country.

Making the announcement at a press conference held at Janata Bhawan here on Monday evening, Finance, Health and Education Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said barring essential services including grocery shops, pharmacies and petrol pumps all other private, commercial and government establishments in the State would remain closed during the lockdown. He said the people would not be able to come out to the streets and violators of the lockdown would face imprisonment from 6 months to 2 years.

Sarma added that inter-State movements of transport during the lockdown would remain suspended. The inter-State borders will be sealed. Barring restricted movement of flight operations, all other forms of transports — both private and commercial — will barred. Only those vehicles engaged in essential services such as medical, drinking water, petrol pumps and others would be allowed to ply.

“Since it is the last month of the current financial year (2019-20), the treasury and banks will operate with skeletal staffs. ATMs will function.

“More than 3 persons cannot assemble in any religious places such as temples, mosques and churches. People can go to grocery shops with certain restrictions.

“All other markets including vegetable, fish and meat will remain shut,” the Minister said, adding that the government will also issue an advisory to media houses to cut down on non-essential staffs. Only ten journalists from different media house will be invited to attend government press conferences and the rest will share the news.

Also Read: Coronavirus update: Assam to go on a lockdown until March 31

Also Watch: Coronavirus update: Buddhist Monastery in Naharkatika take extra prevention measures

Next Story