GUWAHATI: Tuesday's major meet to implement road safety measures in the state was presided over by Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma.
During the meeting, CM Sarma gave the representatives of the relevant departments instructions on how to reduce road accidents in the state by using a comprehensive strategy.
Taking on twitter, CM sarma informed that , “Taking inspiration from Hon PM's tenure as Gujarat Chief Minister, we aim to make road safety awareness a people's movement.
In state government programs, I've urged officials to skip felicitating me and utilize that time to screen a road safety video.
Let's prioritize saving lives on the roads! #RoadSafety”
Following are the safety measures suggested by the CM:
1. Repair of 132 accident hotspots throughout the state
2. Vigorous campaign against drunk driving, speeding, and helmet wear
3. Complete implementation of traffic calming measures at intersections of minor and major roads and intensified highway patrolling
4. Construction of bus and truck bays and the removal of encroachments on national highways
5. Constructing a detailed trauma care plan with well crafted emergency preparedness strategies
6. Districts are under the close supervision of Deputy Commissioners (DCs) and Superintendents of Police (SPs).
The state experienced 7023 accidents and 2994 fatalities in 2022, according to figures provided by the chief minister's office. Compared to the average for the country, which is 37%, it has a severity rate of 41%.
Overspeeding accounts for 68% of all accidents, while drunk driving accounts for 9.14%, using a cellphone while driving accounts for 3.60%, and jumping red lights accounts for 1.52%.
While this was going on, Assam experienced 686 accidents in May that resulted in 306 fatalities.
In May , Himanta Biswa Sarma carried out a late-night survey to examine the future building projects in Guwahati. He gave the police instructions to make sure that all vehicles operating at night adhered to the rules of the road.
Sarma posted a video of himself touring various locations in the city at night to examine the civic infrastructure and other works on his Twitter account.
Senior representatives from many departments accompanied him.