GUWAHATI: An adult elephant died due to electrocution at Garoghuli in the Gorchuk area on Monday morning. The elephant, which was around 4-foot tall, died after coming in contact with a low-lying electric wire. Creepers were growing on the wire. Local people suspect that the elephant might have got electrocuted while trying to eat the creepers.
Forest department officials rushed to the spot on getting information about the death of the elephant. They said that they would raise the issue of low-lying electric wires with the Assam Power Distribution Company Limited (APDCL) as such electric wires pose a serious threat to elephants.