Dibrugarh University Research Entrance Test is organized by the university every year. Candidates, who are interested to pursue a PhD or MPhil course, can apply for DURAT. Individuals having a good score in their post-graduation are eligible to apply for this entrance test. Candidates who have an interest in this field can submit the form with all the necessary information.
DURAT 2021 Courses
After successfully completing the procedure and achieving the qualifying marks, the eligible candidates can get a seat in the Doctor of Philosophy program for the following fields- Economics, Civil Engineering, Anthropology, Mathematics., Applied Geology, Mechanical Engineering, Political Science, Sociology, Physics, Assamese, Pharmaceutical, Chemistry, History, Education, and Geography.
DURAT 2021 Important Dates
The application for DURAT 2021will be available from the month of November. The closing date for submitting the form will be in the same month. The examination will be held in the month of December of this year.
About Dibrugarh University
Established in the year 1965, Dibrugarh University is a very well-known university in Assam. The Assam Legislative Assembly established this university. It is popular for its extremely good teaching quality and high-value research programs. Under Dibrugarh University, approximately 172 affiliated institutes and colleges are there in the nine districts of the state of Assam.
The university also gained a name in both India and Abroad. Also, being a segment of the Association of Indian Universities, contributed a lot to its prestige.
A lot of varied courses are available in the university. The departments, that offer these huge numbers of courses, include Science and Engineering, Education, Earth Science and Energy, Humanity and Law, Social Sciences, and so on.
The other facilities that it offers to its students are a conference hall, hostel accommodation, auditorium, sports facilities, centres for health care, and several more. The entire campus is covered across 550 acres of land. It has accreditation from UGC as well as NAAC.
The subjects that offer PhD course, under Dibrugarh University, are Business Administration, Chemistry, Applied Geology, Mathematics, Education, Chemistry, Physics, History, Sociology, Petroleum Technology, Statistics, and others. For MPhil, the subjects include Commerce, English, Assamese, Education, Mathematics, Economics, Sociology, Physics, Statistics, Chemistry, and Political Science.
DURAT 2021 Criteria for Eligibility
Candidates interested in getting seats for DURAT, must fulfil certain criteria to be able to apply, before initiating the procedure of application. These criteria, for being eligible, are elaborated as follows-
- Candidates should have post-graduation in the area in which they want to obtain their PhD.
- They are required to have their post-graduation in M.Sc., M.A., M.Tech, M.Com, or similar courses from Diburagarh University or other recognized universities.
- Students, who wish to obtain a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), except students who completed their education in the streams of Engineering and Medical, are needed to have at least 50% in their post-graduation.
- Applicants, who have post-graduation from the stream of Medical or Engineering, are needed to have more than or equal to 55%.
- Candidates can apply and be enrolled in the program of PhD if they obtained an equivalent degree to post-graduation, from a recognized university.
- Candidates who are in the final year can also opt for this test.
- Reserved candidates, such as ST/SC/OBC, will get a relaxation of 5% of marks or an equal relaxation of grade. This relaxation is also applicable for candidates who are differently-abled.
- Candidates, who have obtained a degree in B.Tech (Bachelor of Technology) or B.E. (Bachelor of Engineering), can also select the option of DURAT and apply for it.
- A candidate can pursue a Doctor of Letters (D.Litt) after finishing his or her PhD. However, one must wait for three years after finishing PhD to be able to apply for D.Litt.
- The applicants, who have scored qualifying marks UGC-CSIR or UGC-NET/ GATE/GPATE/SLET, are not needed to seat for the test. In addition, applicants, who have pursued MPhil in regular mode, are also not needed to appear for the test. But this does not imply that they are enrolled on the PhD program. Their criterion to get a seat and obtain admission is to seat for the counselling round, where they have to face an interview or a viva-voice session.
DURAT 2021 Selection Procedure
DURAT Entrance Examination Structure
The paper for this admission test is single-based. The total score of the test is 100, and the complete time period of the test is 150 minutes, i.e., two and a half hours. This single-based paper consists of two divisions. The first part is the Research Aptitude or Research Methodology, which is termed Group A. The other part, which is Group B, is related to the concerned subject and its essential components. The first part carries 50% of the complete score, and the other part carries the remaining marks.
The paper will have multiple-choice questions (MCQ). This section includes twenty-five (25) questions. Each question carries 2 marks, as such, it contributes 50 marks to the total marks of the test. From Group A, a total of 12 or 13 questions will be set, i.e., from Research Aptitude or Research Methodology. From Group B, a similar number of questions, i.e., 12 or 13, will be there in the test. Group B will consist of questions from the subject in which they will pursue their PhD.
The questions in each section will consist of four alternatives. Two marks are awarded for each correct answer, and there is a deduction of 25% of the allotted marks for each incorrect response.
The remaining 50% of the total marks will be descriptive type. The content of this section is described as follows-
The Group A section, i.e., Research Methodology or Research Aptitude, will have a total of 25 marks. It will consist of two essay type questions, carrying ten marks each. The remaining five marks will be carried by a short type of question.
The Group B section, which is the core subject, carries 25 marks. Similarly, it consists of two ten marks questions making it a total of 20 marks. Also, it has one short type of question that carries five marks.
DURAT Exam Instructions
- The candidates have to write their answers, for Group A and Group B, in two different answer sheets.
- In the initial hour of the test, the applicants will be given a response sheet, where they have to put their inputs for the given questions of Group A. This sheet is needed to be returned only when the invigilator is present in the examination centre.
- Within a given span of time, they are required to answer all the questions of Group B in the answer scripts, given to them during the examination hours. Similarly, these scripts of answers are to be returned in the presence of the invigilator, who is on duty.
- In terms of candidates, who are employed, they need to provide a No-Objection certificate from the employer where they work.
DURAT Viva-Voice Pattern
Candidates, who qualified in the DURAT, need to seat for the viva-voice round to get enrolled in the PhD program. This session carries 30% of the total marks for applicants, who have scored qualifying marks in the test. However, it carries 100% marks for those candidates who are spared from seating for the test.
The schedule for admission as well as the list of candidates will be released on the university's official website. The fee for admission and course fee, for those candidates who are selected, is Rs.6000. The payment should be done only through the mode of an online gateway, for example, credit card, net banking, debit card, etc. The university will not allow any other form of transaction to pay the course fee and admission fee.
DURAT 2021 Application Process
The entire process for filling the application form for DURAT is online. A candidate has to initiate the process by registering online. The tentative date for the start of the application process is November 2021. The complete registration process is online. No offline application form will be accepted.
The candidate needs to complete the form with their correct and accurate information. To complete the process, the candidates have to pay an application fee. The payment can be done through online transaction gateways, such as net banking, credit cards, debit cards, and others.
Once the process is completed, the applicants need to wait for the release of the admit cards. However, candidates cannot make any changes in their form or modify their information after the final submission of the form.
When the admit card is released, they can download it by visiting the link on the official website. To download the admit card, the applicant needs to enter his or her password and username after visiting the link. This admit card needs to be printed and brought to the examination centre.
DURAT 2021 Application Process- Step By Step
- The candidate's scanned copy of a photograph must not exceed 512kb, and the resolution of the width should be 180 pixels, and the height should be 200 pixels.
- The applicant's signature should not exceed 512kb, with a width resolution of 300 pixels, and a height resolution of 60 pixels.
- Scanned copies of the post-graduation mark sheet, migration certificate, pass certificate, and registration card should not exceed the size of 512kb. All these copies should be uploaded in JPG format.
Seats Reservation in DURAT 2021
DURAT also has reserved seats for applicants belonging to ST/OBC/SC or differently-abled candidates. The category of SC (Scheduled Caste) has 5% of the total seats, the category of ST (Scheduled Tribes) also has 5% seats. Similarly, differently-abled persons and the OBC category cover 5% of seats.
In 2020, the seats available for the program of PhD for each subject are mentioned below-
For the program of PhD, there were 8 seats for Applied Geology, 9 seats for History, 8 seats for Mathematics, 7 seats for Political Science, and 9 seats for Sociology.
For the MPhil program, a total of 12 seats were there for Assamese, 12 seats for English, 10 seats for History, 5 seats for Mathematics, and 13 seats for Political Science.
Each candidate has to pay an application fee of Rs.600 to apply for Dibrugarh University Research Admission Test (DURAT).
Admit Card Announcement
Dibrugarh University releases the admit card for DURAT on its official website. The university does not take any responsibility for sending the admit cards to the individual students. Hence, the candidates have to download the admit card and bring it to the examination. For downloading the same, an applicant has to use his credentials, such as password and username.
DURAT 2021 Results
The result of DURAT is also released only through the method of online. The applicants, who completed their form and sat in the examination, can check their result which will be declared on the university's official website.
DURAT Answer Key
Candidates can visit the official website of Dibrugarh University to check the answer keys of DURAT. This list will be released after the successful completion of the test. The authority of the university prepare the answer keys and release them on their website for better reference of the candidates. Thus, candidates must visit the official website, once in a while, to be acquainted with the latest information provided there.
To download the DURAT Answer key from their website, a candidate has to visit www.dibru.ac.in first, which will lead to the main page of the university. Next, the candidate has to select the Notification Icon present on the home page. There will a link for the answer keys of the DURAT. Then a new page will occur where one has to provide one's password, roll number, and also the course that the candidate has selected. After submitting the information, the answer key will appear. The option for downloading it is available. The answer keys are in the format of PDF. This helps the candidate to have an idea of their performance in the test.
Important DURAT Note
- If any problem takes place during the process of payment, which could be a result of a network or internet issue, one can contact the helpline number provided by the university.
- The problem can include the deduction of money from the bank account but no receipt has been generated. The candidates have to provide their full name, date & time of the transaction, contact number, and bank account information from where the money was deducted for the transaction. Generally, this process takes two to three days, so it is better not to wait for the last date of application submission.