'Plan Bee' and other initiatives of NF Railway help save elephants
Northeast Frontier Railway is committed towards protection of wild animals in its jurisdiction.
* Alert Loco Pilots saved lives of elephants on railway track
GUWAHATI: Northeast Frontier Railway is committed towards protection of wild animals in its jurisdiction. Various preventive measures initiated by the N.F. Railway have resulted into saving lives of hundreds of elephants over the years.
Elephant dashing with trains is a serious threat for passengers and for elephants which are a protected species under the Wildlife Protection Act. In an incident on 18 th July, 2021 at 04-25 hours, alert loco pilots Gopal Prasad (LP) and S. C. Jatav (ALP) of Down Pola HSD train observed 3 elephants crossing the track between Bokajan - Khatkhati stations in Lumding division. They immediately applied emergency brakes and saved lives of the wild elephants.
N.F. Railway has taken various initiatives to avoid train-elephant collision. An innovative solution 'Plan Bee' taken by NFR became instrumental in reducing elephant dashing incidents to zero wherever it is installed. A device was developed that plays amplified buzzing sound of Honey Bees with a range up to 400 m. The first such device was installed at the level crossing gate NN-274 between Azara and Kamakhya station under the Rangiya Division. Thereafter, such devices have been installed at 55 other locations vulnerable to elephant dashing all over NFR. Some other measures that have been taken in close coordination with forest department for safety of elephant such as-
* Real time monitoring of elephant movement through forest officials posted at divisional controls and whatsapp groups
* Imposing speed restrictions at identified locations
* Sensitizing train drivers/guards
* Providing signage boards to alert drivers from approaching elephant corridors
* Constructing ramps or underpasses for elephants crossing
* Clearing forest near tracks for better visibility etc.
The measures initiated by railways have been able to reduce the train – elephant collision related incident as well as casualty by a great extent. It may be mentioned that more than 950 elephants are saved all over Indian Railway due to these initiatives since 2017.