GUWAHATI: An old lady got electrocuted in her waterlogged house at Pandu, Guwahati on Tuesday evening.
The deceased identified as Mehendi Baruah, a resident of the Tin Pukhuri area of Pandu, was electrocuted at her home while rainwater entered and inundated the inverter and other household commodities in a very short span of time.
Speaking to the media, an official of Fire Service Station-Pandu, said, "As the locals informed, a rescue team immediately rushed to the site and brought the lady out of the water-logged home in a critical condition."
The woman was declared dead at Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH).
According to police, the victim's hand and fingers were affected due to electrocution and she was later shifted to Gauhati Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) where she was declared dead on Tuesday night.
On the other hand, the movement of vehicles through the Maligaon flyover towards Kamakhya Gate has come to a standstill for long hours in the evening as a major portion of the road is blocked by the ongoing new flyover construction by Guwahati Metropolitan Development Authority (GMDA) and also the rain waterlogging created havoc.
On Tuesday, the maximum temperature recorded was 31.7 degrees Celsius, which was 1.7 degrees Celsius more than normal, while the minimum temperature was 24.3 degrees Celsius, which was 2.8 degrees Celsius more than normal.
Notably, Guwahati was reeling under heat during the Puja festivities and the maximum temperature had shot up to 37.7 degrees Celsius on Navami and Dashami, making it the hottest day in October since 2009.