Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Centre's decision to remove Nehru's me from Fulbright scholarship vindictive'

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  27 Oct 2015 12:00 AM GMT

BY OUR STAFF REPORTER

GUWAHATI, Oct 26: Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi castigated the BJP-led NDA Government at the Centre for the decision to remove former Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru’s me from the India-US Fulbright scholarship programme.

Terming the decision to drop former Prime Minister Nehru’s me from the scholarship programme as unfortute and uncalled for, Chief Minister Gogoi said the present dispensation at the Centre is attempting to replace Nehru’s domestic and foreign policy legacy with its own. “The decision to shed Nehru’s me from the scholarship programme that benefited tens of thousands of students is really unfortute and uncalled for. Is the present dispensation trying to relegate Nehru’s contribution in laying the foundation of modern India and his rich domestic and foreign policy legacy to the backburner and replacing them with its own? Is the Centre trying to rewrite history by removing the icons of our freedom struggle?” he retorted.

Gogoi said the present dispensation at the Centre had earlier taken retrogressive steps in discontinuing the postage stamps on former Prime Ministers Indira Gandhi and Rajiv Gandhi and belittling their contributions to make modern India. “All the decisions expose the vindictive attitude and rrow mindset of the present Central Government,” he added.

Next Story