Top
Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Common NEET doesn't augur well for State students: SMSS

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  1 May 2016 12:00 AM GMT

By our Staff Reporter

GUWAHATI, April 30: The Satra Mukti Sangram Samiti (SMSS), the student wing of the Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS), has cried foul in the Supreme Court’s order for holding the tiol Eligibility for Entrance Test (NEET) for admission into MBBS and BDS courses at the all India level on May 1 and July 24 together. The Samiti feels that as such a move is going to affect the meritorious students of backward states like Assam.

Delivering its order on Friday, an apex court bench headed by Anil R Dave asked Additiol Solicitor General Pinky And and others to file applications seeking whatever relief they want.

Talking to newsmen in the city today, SMSS president Bitu Sonowal, working president Mas Konwar and general secretary Bidyut Saikia said: “The order given by the apex court doesn’t augur well for the students of Assam and other backward states where educatiol infrastructure, especially that of science, is not on a par with that of advanced States. At the all-India-level competitions our meritorious students are bound the face the drubbing from students from advanced States. With the latest SC order, the states have lost their right to conduct separate entrance tests for admission into MBBS and BDS courses.”

The SMSS leaders said: “Earlier the States, including Assam, conducted entrance tests for 85 per cent of the seats for admission into MBBS and BDS courses, and the remaining 15 per cent seats were filled up with candidates who qualified the All-India-level AIPMT. The SC order is bound to benefit students from developed States at the cost of students of educatiolly backward States like Assam. We feel the order of the apex court has to be revoked. We also want the Assam Government opposing this order vehemently so as to ensure the prospects of the meritorious students of the State.”

Next Story