Over 4000 Haj pilgrims to head for Mecca on July 24
BY OUR STAFF REPORTER
GUWAHATI, July 20: A total of 4,472 pilgrims from five Northeastern states are all set to go to Saudi Arabia for Haj this year under the guidance of Joint State Hajj Committee and Northeast Hajj Reception Committee.
The number of Haj pilgrims has come down this year compared to last year.
As many as 4611 pilgrims went to Saudi Arabia last year.
Speaking to reporters in Guwahati on Thursday, Haj committee chairman Nekibur Zaman said that the first batch of the pilgrims will leave for Medi on July 24. The journey would continue till July 31.
“Every day 600 pilgrims will travel to Medi from Guwahati during this period. For the first time the state government has appointed 21 ‘Khadem-Ul-Hojja’ (officials) to take care of the pilgrims of the State. They will be monitoring all the process and will provide all kind of assistance.”
“We are very much thankful to Chief Minister Sarbanda Sonowal for his assistance in making the process a success,” Zaman said.
The reception committee will organize special programmes to see off the pilgrims from Meghalaya, Aruchal Pradesh, Mizoram, galand, Manipur and Sikkim at Haji Mushafirkha in Guwahati.
On July 23, on the eve of the first flight to Medi, the reception committee has organized a programme where several dignitaries will be present including Chief Minister Sonowal, BTC chief Hagrama Mohilary and others.
Zaman said that a total of 612 pilgrims have been selected under green category and 1360 pilgrims have been selected under Aziziya category.