Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Iran Dismisses Prospect of Talks with Donald Trump at UN

Iran Dismisses Prospect of Talks with Donald Trump at UN

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  24 Sep 2019 6:45 PM GMT

Tehran: Iran has dismissed any prospect of talks with US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the ongoing 74th UN General Assembly (UNGA) in New York until Washington stops its campaign of “maximum pressure” on Tehran. Speaking at the Iranian mission to the UN in New York, Tehran’s Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi told the Independent newspaper on Sunday that “maximum pressure” from the US has produced “maximum resistance” from Iran, and that Tehran will continue to resist, reports the state-run IRNA news agency. He said “to get real negotiations started, this economic war has to end”, in reference to the US sanctions. “And to end this economic war, we first need a ceasefire in order to do real negotiations and find sustainable solutions,” Araghchi added. “Not only us, but no country will negotiate under pressure.”

Araghchi however, suggested that Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani would be willing to meet Trump in a multilateral setting if the US returned to the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) nuclear deal, which it exited in 2018. “If Trump returns to the JCPOA, we will again negotiate with the US in the format of a P5+1 meeting,” he said. Araghchi’s remarks come after Trump said earlier on Sunday that he had no plans to meet Iranian Rouhani during the UNGA. (IANS)

Also Read: Modi should have avoided saying ‘Abki Baar Trump Sarkar’: Congress

Also Watch: Dr Deben Dutta Murder Incident: Police submits 602-page charge sheet before court

Next Story