The commercial hub and the capital of Sri Lanka, Colombo is believed to be named from the classical Sinhalese name which means ‘port on the Kelani’. This popular tourist destination is located on the west coast of Sri Lanka and is home to architectural and natural wonders alike. From mazes of colourful textiles and colonial era antiquities to popular golf clubs, this city has it all. This financial center of Sri Lanka was and is still a popular trade route and is renowned for its cinnamon. Colombo has been visited by and settled in, by various international personages ranging from the moors to the Portuguese and the British, but this ever thriving city has embraced it all to create an amalgamation of breathtaking proportion.
Want to reach this city? Then the Ratmalana Airport and Bandaranaike Airport are the places to land at. Both the airport's service domestic flights but Ratmalana just caters to international corporate flights, unlike Bandaranaike which services all. So booking Dubai to Colombo flights, New York to Colombo, Hong Kong to Colombo flights and more will be easy.
Coming to this city is an experience in itself, but you would surely love to explore some more of it. So here’s what you can enjoy doing here:
- Play Golf at the Royal Colombo Golf Club: There is no other game which relaxes and yet invigorates one like golf. While playing the game is amazing in itself, playing in such a historic place makes the occasion special. So, come in for a round of golf in the club’s manicured gardens.
- Enjoy seafood at Mt Lavinia Beach: Named after Lovinia, who was a gypsy dancing girl, this place offers a heady combo of seafood set in a laidback atmosphere. So if you are getting the hunger pangs then give this place a try.
- City tour: No better way to know about and also enjoy the sights of the city than sitting on top of an open double Decker bus. If you really want to witness the charms of Colombo then hop on in it.
- Go for shopping: Coming to Colombo and missing out on shopping is a major no-no. But this time give the departmental stores a miss and go wandering out into the lanes, especially of Pettah where you will find everything from everyday household items to lesser-known artifacts.
- Enjoy a massage: Colombo can take its toll on the body, so taking some time out for massage by expert masseurs who are trained in every procedure from Swedish to shiatsu and more will be beneficial to you.
- Get your share of fun at Leisure World: Taking a break from all the sightseeing and shopping to just go wild in the waters will be a great way to spend a day. So pay a visit to Sri Lanka’s first water park which has everything from waterslides to log flumes to other thrilling rides.
When in Colombo, do as the people do and just enjoy its culture along with its pulsing nightlife. Experience a world of two distinctions- of the past and the present which live together.