Assam Invests Rs 1000 Cr in UP Power Plant
Spread over 1886 acres of land, the project has an estimated budget of Rs 17237 Cr.
GUWAHATI: In a bid to meet the rising growth of power in various sectors of the state, the Government of Assam has decided to invest in an upcoming power plant in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
As per the original contract, the Central Government had a 51% share in the upcoming Ghatampur Power Project while the Uttar Pradesh government had the rest 49%. With an investment of Rs 1000 Cr, the Assam government has procured 20% equity out of the 49% belonging to the UP Government. Located in the Kanpur District, the Ghatampur power project is a coal-fired thermal power plant with a peak capacity of 1980 MW. This is a joint venture of the Neyveli Lignite Corporation Limited and the Uttar Pradesh Rajya Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited
"There has been a steep utilization of power in the state which has shot for a daily average usage of 1,900 MW to 2,200 MW per day and is likely to increase to 3,200 MW soon. To tide over the crisis, we at this moment are purchasing power at the rate of Rs 12 per unit from the national grid," mentioned the CM of Assam in a conference a few days back.
This project is planned to be completed in three phases, each of which is expected to add 660MW power output. Spread over 1886 acres of land, the project has an estimated budget of Rs 17237 Cr.
"A big step towards power availability & revenue. In Ghatampur Thermal Project, Assam gets 20% equity & 297 MW power. Held a meeting with Hon Power Min of UP Shri@aksharmaBharat ji and NLC CMD. Will help in meeting our energy needs, boosting growth & industrialisation," mentioned the Assam CM over Twitter on Tuesday.
Once completed, the state will be able to cash in on the power supply from the plant via the nationwide power grid and thus bringing down the need to buy extra power.