Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

Norovirus Cases Reported From Kerala

Several students in the 5-10 years age slab and their parents had shown symptoms.

Norovirus Cases Reported From Kerala

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  24 Jan 2023 7:38 AM GMT

KOCHI: Two students belonging to classes 1 and 2 of a private school have tested positive for the Norovirus in the South Indian state of Kerala. The samples came positive from the regional virology laboratory located in Alappuzha.

Several students in the 5-10 years age slab and their parents had shown symptoms that include vomiting and diarrhoea in the past days prompting the local authorities to test for Norovirus. The private school in Kochi has already declared a holiday on Monday. Meanwhile, locals have been asked to maintain strict hygiene as well as to consume boiled water and cook food at high temperatures in an attempt to control the spread of infection. Health Minister of Kerala Veena George also mentioned that action has been taken to control the spread of the virus.

"We have started a full-fledged campaign to arrest its spread. All water bodies will be checked and super chlorination has also begun. We have also isolated infected ones and opened isolation wards," mentioned the District Medical Officer of Ernakulam, V Jayashree.

Norovirus is a highly contagious disease that usually spreads through contaminated water, food and close contact. The main symptoms include diarrhoea, vomiting and stomach pain. Proper and timely treatment can lead to the recovery of the patients. Children are usually the most affected by this virus and symptomatic treatment is the usual course of medical action.

Infections are generally not fatal, but the school as well as the health department has taken action to prevent any further spread of the virus in the region.

Popularly called the 'winter vomiting bug', this is not the first time that an outbreak of norovirus has been reported from Kerala. Last year it was reported in a hostel in Alappuzha. In a separate incident, several school children had come in contact with the virus through their mid-day meal.

Also Read: Prevent pneumonia in winter

Also Watch:

Next Story
Jobs in Assam
Jobs in Rest of NE
Top Headlines
Assam News