Guwahati: In an unusual incident, a family of six has been hospitalized at Miyaganj in Kannauj district of Uttar Pradesh after they mistakenly consumed a dish made from hemp, a variety of cannabis. They had reportedly mistaken the dried leaves of hemp for fenugreek (methi), a common element in Indian curries.
According to sources, a man named Naval Kishore handed out weed to Omprakash's son Nitesh by falsely claiming it to be dry fenugreek (methi). Nitesh then gave the cannabis to his sister-in-law Pinki, who made the cannabis curry, unknowingly. After consuming the cannabis curry, the condition of the family members deteriorated, later in the evening.
It has been reported that Om Prakash, somehow, managed to inform his neighbors, and soon the entire family fell unconscious. The neighbors informed the police and the family was immediately rushed to a district hospital.
As per official reports, the police had seized the unused hemp and the curry made by Pinki that rendered Omprakash's family sick On interrogation, the accused Navak Kishore revealed that it was a case of a prank gone wrong. The senior police official also stated that the family was out of danger and further investigations were underway. It is to be noted that a similar incident also took place in August 2019 at Firozabad when a woman mistook cannabis for fenugreek and served the same to the family that also had to be hospitalized.
ALSO WATCH: #LetsTalk: The Power of Stories on Paper