Breaking News
News

1 dead, several injured in massive fire

From Our Correspondent

Silchar, Feb 26: A massive fire broke out last night at Nilu Paul Colony, Chencoorie Road of this town at around 10.45pm. The Colony is situated opposite Ramanuj Vidya Mandir School. Till filling of the report, the number of casualty was one. Mamta Das (65) who is also known as Buro’s mother lost her life. A young Radha Krish received severe burns and was immediately sent to Silchar Medical College and Hospital. Upon initial investigation, it has been found that the fire broke out due to explosion of cylinders. The wild and wide spread fire engulfed a large number of homes and affected more than 50 families. Even some of the trees have been charred.

Owing to extreme rrowness of the Colony, fire brigade engines could not enter and extinguished the fire with long pipes. Upon hearing about the devastating fire, Rakesh Roushan, the Superintendent of Police, Cachar, Ashim Das commissioner of Ward No 18, Rakhi Choudhury, ward commissioner, Ward No 19 and other officials rushed to the spot. Mamta Das was so sick that she could not save herself. The members of the affected families have been temporarily shifted to Ramanuj Vidya Mandir School. Rimpi Das (9), daughter of Suken Das and Kalpa Das, have been admitted at SMCH and is in a very critical condition.

A large number of people have come forward for doting clothes, food items and other items of daily use. Talking to The Sentinel, Jamu Das, wife of Sushant Das said, “It is the worst tragedy that has befallen upon my family. I have lost everything, cash worth Rs.70000, 2 voris of gold, jewellery, 2 android cell phones and other items.” She further said that they have kept the money and other expensive things at home because of their son, Ranjan Das’ marriage which was to be solemnized this week. Her house, which has been burnt to ashes, was situated next to the house in which the cylinders burst.

About the author

Ankur Kalita