Begin typing your search above and press return to search.

13-year-old electrocuted

Sentinel Digital DeskBy : Sentinel Digital Desk

  |  10 May 2017 12:00 AM GMT

Garo students’ body blames Meghalaya Electricity Corporation

FROM A CORRESPONDENT

Tura, May 9: The Garo Students Union – Western Zone (North) today held Meghalaya Electricity Corporation (Megha Power) responsible for electrocution of a 13-year-old.

The boy identified as Peng Sangma was electrocuted on May 7 at Dallangre, near Dadenggre in West Garo Hills, when he stepped on a stray wire that was lying on the ground, while returning from the church.

He accidentally stepped on the fallen main line and died on the spot. “We informed the police about the unfortute incident and I persolly tried to call the sub division officer (SDO) of the concerned department (Megha Power) to inform him but he didn’t receive my call,” said Rupa M Marak, the president of the Zone.

The civil body further hit out at the SDO of Electricity Corporation for being uvailable for the people of the area.

“The SDO’s phone is always either switched off or he doesn’t pick up our calls. So we couldn’t inform him about problems in the past too. This attitude is condemble. If he’s not willing to hear the problems of the people then he should quit his job. He should know and be well informed of the problems faced by the people so that he can tackle or can plan to tackle problems of the people,” Rupa added. They also demanded compensation for the victim’s family.

Next Story