New Delhi/Kathmandu, April 26: Nineteen bodies have been recovered from Everest base camp which was hit by an avalanche following Saturday’s 7.9-magnitude earthquake in Nepal, the Indian defence ministry said on Sunday even as the stranded climbers kept tweeting about themselves for the world.
“Nineteen bodies have been recovered from the Everest base camp. About 50 others are injured,” defence ministry spokesperson Sitanshu Kar tweeted on Sunday reporting on the rescue operations conducted in Nepal by the Indian defence forces.
Six Indian helicopters were sent to the avalanche-hit area on Saturday, but only two could operate because of inclement weather.
Tulsi Prasad Gautam, executive director of Nepal’s department of tourism, told Xinhua that a few of the injured climbers were being treated in Pheriche village near Lukla.
Earlier in the day, as a Nepal tourism ministry official declared a toll of 18 climbers on the slopes of Mount Everest, climbers in the area tweeted updates about the prevailing conditions around their respective base camps.
At 12.57 p.m., Jim Davidson, a climber at 19,850.03 feet, tweeted: “Just had our biggest aftershock yet here at C1 on Everest. Smaller than origil quake but glacier shook & avalanches again. Nerve wracking....”
At around 1.30 p.m., Daniel Mazur, from Bristol, England, @danielmazur tweeted: “Aftershock @ 1pm! Horrible here in camp 1. Avalanches on 3 sides. C1 a tiny island. We worry about icefall team below... Alive?
Mazur, at around 11.00 a.m., in a tweet had said: “12+1 member #Everest BC TV team passed away. RIP. #Earthquake loosed tons of ice down, creating wind blast destroying BC’ heart.” (ians)