Shillong, April 2: Two thousand fifty families of 237 villages in West Jaintia Hills, West Khasi Hills and East Garo Hills and parts of East Khasi Hills district were the worst hit by the thunderstorm that lashed the state last week. This is based on the prelimiry assessment made by the reports of the district administration in the past three days.
Confirming this to The Sentinel on Monday, the State Additiol Chief Secretary, PW Ingti said, “There are 2050 families and around 32,000 people who have been affected and further assessment is on to exactly know the damage on the ground”.
“It will take another bit of time to evaluate the damage to dwelling houses and other losses related to death of domesticated animals”, he stated, even as he iterated that an amount of Rs 20 lakh under the state disaster funds has been used made available for aid to the affected people in the districts. The ongoing relief is through the gratuity funds where rice, pulses and other sheltering items are being distributed to the victims of the tural carge.
Asked on the progress of the evaluation work being carried out, Ingti stated that he desires to see the reports of the Deputy Commissioners sooner for speedy relief to the affected. “We are awaiting the latest reports of the inquiry that are being carried out,” he stated besides mentioning that the damage of the crops is part of the process.
At least five districts were ravaged by the hailstone storm that destroyed many villages in the remote areas of the four affected districts. The Chief Minister Conrad K sangma immediately asked his officials to review the situation soon after the Friday tural carge. It is said that the top district officials acted on holidays and also on Good Friday.