Kabul/Kandahar, April 30: At least 29 people, including eight journalists, were killed as two suicide bombers exploded themselves in quick succession in the Afghan capital on Monday. Hours later, another suicide attack killed 11 madrassa students in Kandahar province.
40 killed in Afghanistan suicide bombings
The Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the attack. A militant on a motorbike carried out the first explosion at 8 a.m. in the Shashdarak area in Police District 9 which houses the offices of Afghanistan’s intelligence service, the Defence Ministry, NATO and a number of foreign embassies, prompting journalists to rush to the scene, the Afghan media reported. A second explosion took place about 20 minutes later as a second attacker, disguised as a cameraman, detonated explosives at the site of the initial blast, targeting journalists and rescue workers at the scene, said Kabul police chief Daoud Amin. Forty-nine people were injured in the two explosions and were taken to hospitals, Tolo News cited the Interior Ministry as saying. The Islamic State claimed the bombings in a statement released through its news agency Amaq. The militant group said the intelligence services headquarters had been the target. (IANS)