INTERNATIONAL

6-day fighting devastates Yemen port

Sanaa, June 19: Arab coalition forces on Monday continued air, sea and ground bombardment on Iranian-allied Shiite Houthi rebels in Yemen’s Red Sea port city of Hodeidah.

The coalition, led by armies of Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates (UAE), launched major assault six days ago aiming at capturing the city’s strategic airport in the southern edge of Hodeidah.

Human rights activist Adel Bishr of local independent Al-Saleh Charity Foundation told Xinhua that the ground battles were still centered in Manzara village along the Red Sea shore, around 10 km southeast of the airport.

Houthi fighters using AK-47 Klashnikov rifles have strongly fought back, and blocked several advancing attempts by the coalition forces, Bishr said.

“The airport and all its gates and main roads around it are still under control of Houthi fighters,” said Bishr who along with a 10-member team travelled from Sanaa to Hodeidah last week for a humanitarian task, reported Xinhua news agency. (IANS)