Guwahati: On Thursday, Union Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, was petitioned by the Congress in Assam, urging him to prevent possible deletion of names of lakhs of people from the NRC draft, the completed draft of the NRC list will be put up by 30th July.
In a memorandum given to Singh, Ripun Bora, the Assam Congress chief said that the inputs that they have received from different parts of the state, including the names of several lakhs of the citizens will not find a place in the NRC draft due to political interferences of the Assam government where they wanted to misuse the NRC for political gain by creating religious division.
The congress in Assam, was surprised that the Supreme Court directed the removal of the names of 1.5 lakh people, which figured in the 1st draft published last year on 31st December.
The congress said that although the SC were given certificates issued by village authorities as linkage proof in the matter of women who were married, the officials at NRC Seva Kendras, however, the verification of documents was rejected with certain motive. With that in mind, the names of several lakhs of women will not appear in the NRC draft.
On July 30, the names of 90 thousand (approx.) declared foreigners and their descendants will not appear in the draft. Adding the names of another 1.72 lakh persons and their descendants, whose cases are still pending in the foreigners’ tribunals, will not appear in the NRC draft. The party also has specific information that the names several lakhs of religious minority, Nepali population and linguistic minority and will be deleted from the NRC draft.