From our Correspondent
HOWRAGHAT, April 20: Normal life came to a grinding halt on Wednesday following a 12-hour Karbi Anglong bandh called by Bengali Samaj and Bengali Yuba Chatra Federation, supported by 15 other social and student organizations, in protest against the alleged killing of Prab alias Mithu Das.
The bandh paralyzed normal life, especially in Dokmoka and Howraaghat, Bakalia and Diphu subdivisiol headquarter. Government offices, shops and business establishments remained closed during the bandh. Heavy and light vehicles did not ply on e NH-36 even in some interior areas of the district.
Mukul Chandra Gogoi, Deputy Commissioner (DC) of Karbi Anglong, said that the bandh passed off peacefully and no law and order violation was reported during the bandh hours.
Speaking on the Prab Das killing case, Gogoi said that a magisterial inquiry had been ordered and instructed to submit the report within 15 days. Meanwhile, the DC urged organizations to maintain peace and tranquility and to avoid any untoward incident.
On the other hand, Debajit Deory, Superintendent of Police, said that security had been beefed up in all the vulnerable areas to avoid any untoward incident. A section of local student body activists tried to open shops and markets at Dokmoka opposing the bandh called. Deory, who was at Dokmoka, said that police resorted to blank firing to disperse the crowd in order to maintain law and order. He said that two persons involved in the killing had been arrested on Wednesday. In order to ensure law and order, people were not allowed to gather at any place at Dokmoka, he added.