Bhubaneswar, May 23 : Barabati stadium in Cuttack would get back Test status to host the longest format of cricket within two-three months, said Odisha Cricket Association (OCA) secretary Asirbad Behera on Monday.
"Barabati would get Test status within two-three months. The process got delayed after the bottle throwing incident in the stadium (during a Twenty20 Intertiol against South Africa in October, 2015)," said the OCA secretary. "Now, the issue is over and we are quite confident that Barabati stadium will get Test status."
Cuttack had previously hosted two Tests since becoming an intertiol venue in 1982.
He also said the stadium will hold matches after getting the Test status from the Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI).
Spectators had hurled water bottles at players during the Twenty20 Intertiol match between India and South Africa at Barabati Stadium on October 5, 2015. The Indian team was bowled out for 92 in the T20 match. "The BCCI has expressed satisfaction over OCA's report on the incident. Besides, the BCCI has advised the OCA regarding some measures to be taken in future to avoid such untoward situation," said Behera. He said bottles will not be allowed inside galleries in future matches. IANS